BSF is searching for our next executive director. Please see the job description below.
Organizational History & Overview
The Bainbridge Schools Foundation (BSF) is an independent, non-profit organization working in close partnership with the Bainbridge Island public school community. We raise funds, leverage resources, and act as a catalyst to involve the entire community in public education. BSF raises more than $1 million each year in support of our schools. BSF funding priorities are:
- Launching innovative programs like the K-4 STEM Lab and Edible Education
- Supporting educators through mentorship programs, professional development, classroom innovation grants, and more
- Providing academic support for struggling students
Reporting to a 24 member Board of Directors, the Executive Director is the primary public face of the Bainbridge Schools Foundation and plans, organizes, and directs the organization’s programs, administrative operations, and development activities. The Executive Director implements the mission and strategic plan as set by the Board, and oversees a budget of $1.1M, a staff of two, as well as a robust group of volunteers.
Philanthropy and Donor Relations
- Work with the Executive Committee and Board of Directors to develop and implement a strategic fundraising plan
- Build and strengthen major donor relationships
- Implement two annual fund campaigns each year (Fall and Spring)
- Lead and manage Board and staff efforts to execute BSF’s major fundraising event (Gala Auction Dinner) and to secure major auction donations and sponsorships for the event
- Develop and maintain positive, collaborative, and effective working relationships with donors, key stakeholders, the PTO community, the BSF Board, Bainbridge Island School District, staff, and other community partners
- Work with the Board Treasurer and Executive Committee to develop a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements
- Ensure that the organization operates efficiently within the approved budget, utilizing sound fiscal practices and complying with all regulations
- Work with the Board Treasurer, bookkeeper, accountant, and staff on financial reconciliation, tax preparation, legal compliance, and the bi-annual financial review
- Empower staff to perform the essential functions of their jobs and provide guidance, coaching, and support for actions and decisions
- Responsible for the overall fiscal integrity and management of the organization
Communications and Marketing
- Build and sustain trusting, transparent relationships with school district leadership, principals, and educators
- Communicate and collaborate with the Superintendent, the school district, and PTOs to advance BSF’s mission
- Represent the organization at internal and external meetings and events, inspiring support for BSF’s mission and providing a consistent presence for the organization
- Prepare and edit written communications including drafting content for e-newsletters, donor communications and solicitations, press releases, and social media
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- A passion for public education and BSF’s mission
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Marketing, Communications, Business, or related field and relevant work experience, including supervisory experience, required
- 3-5 years experience as an Executive Director, Director of Development or leader in a non-profit organization, or equivalent
- Proven track record in fundraising, including securing major gifts
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including public speaking
- Excellent relationship and collaboration skills with diverse stakeholder groups
- Demonstrated ability to manage an organization and to be an effective leader and team player
- Strategic thinker who is self-motivated and self-directed
- Proficiency in MS Office and Google applications as well as social media tools (Facebook, Instagram)
Ideal Candidate Profile
The ideal candidate will be a gifted advocate for BSF, motivator, team leader, and strong communicator. He/She must be authentic and possess impeccable personal integrity and professionalism. The ideal candidate will instill confidence in others and have excellent presentation and communication skills coupled with an outgoing, personable, and inclusive management style. The ability to communicate with clarity and to motivate others is a critical requirement. The capacity to connect with people at all levels and the humility to laugh at oneself, along with an appropriate sense of humor is also desirable.
Please submit cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with subject heading: Job Application: Executive Director – (your last name). Please let us know how you will make a difference at BSF. Application deadline: May 4, 2018.
BSF is an Equal Opportunity Employer.